The Rainbow and the Pot of Gold



By Mona Ayoub

Winter started early this year…
As kids, I and my sisters used to celebrate the “first drops of rain”. It was one of our favorite “eids”. We used to go down the street not caring about anything, crazily running and laughing until my dad calls us back home. Winter was always my favorite season: the dark clouds, the lightning, the thunder, the rainbows, the sound of the rain… nothing can be more beautiful.

Despite my immense joy under the rain then, I was never able once to “live the moment”. As a child, my mind was always occupied with something…. related to “my future”.  My sister’s words still echo in my mind: “hello, wen sara7te?” … alarming me that I’ve slipped into those “moments” when I get disconnected from the present and travel somewhere to the future thinking about college, accomplishments, challenges … and my “prince charming” maybe.

Here I am now.  Rain drops tapping my window. Lightning is flashing and thunder is roaring. The sky is filled with dark clouds. The same beauty I always admired, but I can’t go down the street anymore with my sisters to celebrate the first drops of rain…

Here I am now.  Some of my childhood dreams came true. Others didn’t. Others no more count.  My life now is way different from the one I imagined in those “disconnection” moments when I was a child. But it’s beautiful the way it is. It’s not perfect mind you. I regret some decisions I took. I had (and will) have my share of pain and disappointments.

 Despite that, my life is beautiful… the way it is. If I only knew how beautiful it would be, I would have run and laughed more on my “first drops of rain” eids. I would have enjoyed the colors of the rainbow instead of thinking of the pot of gold at the end of it.

I appreciate my life because I now realize that we’re destined to never reach that “pot of gold” in this world regardless of how much we try….  

“Don’t feel in a hurry to get anywhere because you will never reach paradise until you die”- Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment