My Journey at AUB


By Noura Soubra



My Journey at AUB: Be YOUnique, B+
Three years have passed so fast, and in sha Allah I'll be graduating this year.
Studying at AUB has been one of my best experiences, and I definitely learned a lot from it!
So, I would like to share a bit of what I learned with you.
As a Muslim girl, I believe that my fellow Muslim sisters and me represent Islam at AUB. Being a Hijabi in such a place, maybe the only one in a class, is like being a red ball between black ones, directly noticed, but special too. Thus, this implies more responsibility in presenting the best image possible, and leaving a good mark. For example, not being late to class, as much as it seems trivial to some, and impossible to others, is actually important in giving your instructor an impression about you, and thus about Islam. Moreover, when it comes to my colleagues, being a Biology major, in which competition is dominating, I choose to help others, because after all, this is what Islam teaches me.
Although you might feel somehow alienated in such an atmosphere...never be a follower! Stand for your principles and you'll see that true friends will respect you!
In general, university life is a life changing experience, but only if you want it to be so. It comes once in a life time, learn from it...it is never about studying and grades only! It is a chance to discover the world before facing it. You get to know people from different background, deal with different personalities, face challenging situations, take difficult decisions...but it all get easier with time.
From another perspective, it is normal to be sad, angry, pissed off, desperate sometimes, because of exams, projects, home works,  group work and GRADES - but let happiness dominate! I always consider Quiz 1 as an "experiment" to me...to know how the style of the exam will be and how I should study for the course! There is always room for improvement and the grade doesn't always reflect what knowledge you actually gained! To me, knowledge is as important as the grade!
Life is not worth negative feelings...let them out then forget them...move on and enjoy!
My advice to you, always smile! :) It does make a difference, even if you can't see it! Not so long ago, a Business student died after a long struggle with cancer; most of what her friends were talking about after her death was her smile and positive spirit! So always be optimistic, have faith in God...B+!

No comments:

Post a Comment