The Summer You Found Out (cancer awareness)


By Badria Hajjar
With all the broken pieces of my soul
I watch you take your last breath
I watch the cardiac monitor dance the dance of death
I flash-backed at all the times we spent together
The day we danced silly in the rainy weather
I flash-backed the time you helped me with my school essay
The time you surprised me for my 17th birthday
I flash-backed summer when you first found out
The time your life turned dark and you were filled with doubt
The time you began fighting for your life
The time your fear struck you like a knife
I flash-backed your tears screaming of the pain
I flash-backed your weakness that you couldn’t restrain
Suddenly I wake up from my distant trance
The doctors yelling “charge again! Let’s take the chance!”
I take a last look at your pale face
And notice a smile filled with grace
It’s hard to accept the fact you’re gone forever
But I know deep inside you’ll be with me wherever
In my heart in fact deep in my soul
You’ll always be my missing piece that’ll make me forever whole…

No comments:

Post a Comment